From The Jewish Food Hero Kitchen: Oil-Free Healthy Baked Potato Fries
The good news about potato fries is that they are made using potatoes. Most of us love potatoes because they are a satiating starch with lots of vitamin C, B6 and a fiber rich food. I call potatoes my “happy food” because they are a good source of vitamin B6 (and lots of other vitamins too).
The sad news is that most people enjoy potatoes in their worst possible nutrition scenario: fried!
Regularly eating minimally processed potatoes or sweet potatoes without oil/butter/margarine or cheese does the body and mind good. We can enjoy minimally processed potatoes with a small amount of salt and/or sugar (yes, that means you can add a bit of ketsup, salt or even maple syrup).
These healthy starches should be included in our diets and here is why.
Jeff Novick, a healthy eating expert, proposes five guidelines (or principles) that to define a healthy dietary pattern and these guidelines are backed by an overwhelming body of scientific research (you can read more about Jeff’s healthy eating philosophy here)
1) Plant-Centered – Center your plate and your diet predominantly with plant foods (fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, roots/tubers, intact whole grains, and legumes such as beans, peas and lentils).
2) Minimally Processed – Enjoy foods as close to “as grown in nature” with minimal processing that does not detract from the nutritional value and/or add any harmful components.
3) Calorie Dilute – Follow the principles of calorie density, choosing foods that are calorie adequate, satiating, and nutrient sufficient.
4) Low S-O-S – Avoid/minimize the use of added salts/sodium, oils/fats, and sugars/sweeteners.
5) Variety – Consume a variety of foods in each of the recommended food groups.
Oil-free baked potato fries meet all the above requirements, are delicious and satiating. Children and adults love them.
We enjoy baked potato fries every week in our house.
Here is our simple recipe, that you can spice up if desired.
Your turn: What is your favorite sauce to eat with baked potato fries?